MINGW PPL build fix reported upstream ?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Sun Aug 8 16:27:00 GMT 2010

Arnaud, All,

On Sunday 08 August 2010 17:06:00 Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Yann E. MORIN
> <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> > What exactly is 'likely currently broken' wrt Mingw32 ?
> > As I don't do Windows, mingw32 is Terra Incognita for me, and I
> > have to rely on users to report issues, and test fixes.
> PPL ?
> If there was a patch, there should have been a build failure.

Yes, there might have been a build failure, indeed. But since we moved
from using shared libraries to using static ones, the problem disapeared.
And I am not fixing a bug we're not seeing anymore.

Using shared libs meant we had to have a wrapper to all the tools in
the toolchain, so we could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to our own
companion libraries (GMP, PPL, et al.).

The wrapper used to be a simple POSIX shell script, but that was not
working on shell-less systems, such as mingw32. So I made a C wrapper,
that was portable, but much more complex than its shell counterpart.

Although the wrapper was unavoidable to use shared companion libs, it
was ugly. So we now build the companion libs staticaly, and use that.
Thus, the issue with PPL and mingw32 is now moot.

So, three things:
- I'm not fixing a bug we're not seeing;
- I'm not pushing fixes upstream for that bug;
- I'll be nuking the shared complibs and the wrapper for the next stable.

I hope this is a sufficient explanation. :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.