Prerequisites for building crosstool-NG and tool chains

Rod Nussbaumer bomr@triumf.ca
Fri Oct 30 17:02:00 GMT 2009

I am trying to use a couple of different Redhat (EL4.x & EL5.x)
platforms for running crosstool-NG (trying 1.4.1, and 1.5.1). Running
'configure --local' produces problems with (at least) bash and automake
version requirements.
Are the minimum requirements set forth in 'configure' actual hard
requirements, or can I relax the requirements and still get a successful
  build? It is difficult for me to upgrade system tools on an ad-hoc
basis, as these hosts must be kept in a state that is well understood
and easily restorable. Changes to basic distribution configurations are
strongly discouraged.
On a similar note, is there a preferred host distribution platform for
running crosstool-NG? As an experiment recently, I found that on a
recent distribution of Open Suse, I was able to install and run
crosstool-NG without updating anything on the host. I haven't tried the
built toolchain yet, but at least I was able to create one without headache.
Has anyone used a distro installed as a virtual OS, simply as a host
system for running crosstool-NG? What configuration did you use? How
successful/easy/difficult was it?
My present target architectures are ARM (for TS-7350 SBC), and x86 (for
VME based Pentium CPUs). Anyone have a working .config file for either
of these target platforms?
Is there any intention that older releases of crosstool-NG should
continue to work? I found that one 1.4.X version that I had previously
used would no longer build a toolchain, because it could not download a
source package from the net. Is this an expected behavior, or should I
expect the download problem to be a temporary network issue?

Thanks to Yann, and to everyone else who has contributed to this
valuable tool.

    ---   rod.