Installing crosstool-ng fails on Debian

Hendrik Sattler post@hendrik-sattler.de
Fri Oct 9 21:10:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

the configure script of crosstool-ng 1.5 is not able to find bash on a current
Debian testing:
$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/toolchains/
Checking for 'grep'... /bin/grep
Checking whether '/bin/grep' supports -E... yes
Checking for 'sed'... /bin/sed
Checking whether '/bin/sed' supports -i and -e... yes
Checking for 'bash'... no

bash 3.1 or above was not found

Either you are missing entirely the needed tool,
or the version you have is too old.
You can give the path to this tool using: --with-bash=PATH

configure: Bailing out...
$ dpkg -l bash
[...]
ii  bash            4.0-4             The GNU Bourne Again SHell

Using --with-bash=/bin/bash works for configure but the resulting Makefile has
bash=@@bash@@ set and many installed files also. This make ct-ng fail
completely. I fixed it locally by modifying Makefile and running make again.
Still, lib/ct-ng-1.5.0/paths.mk had still the @@bash@@ after installation.
After fixing that, "ct-ng works".

I want to use crosstool-ng to build a toolchain for the AVR NGW100 board :)

HS