crosstool-ng libncurses check in configure

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Mon May 11 17:03:00 GMT 2009

Joachim,
All,

On Sunday 10 May 2009 16:30:41 Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> I run Ubuntu, a Debian GNU/Linux derivative.  Debian has a policy about
> /bin/sh scripts that basically states that any such script be POSIX
> compatible.  To further complicate matters /bin/sh is by default /bin/dash
> (Debian Almquist SHell)

<rant>
Better known as the "Deffective Annoying SHell". :-)
</rant>

> and it is rather picky about its syntax.

No it is not picky. It is simply POSIX compliant, with no extensions (*).

> With the new, very neat, configure check for libncurses the configure
> script no longer runs on Debian or Ubuntu default installations.  It
> seems to boil down to the use of variable expansion in the following line:
> 	lib="$( echo lib{ncursesw,ncurses,curses}.{so,a,dylib} )"

Oh, that's not POSIX? Damned. Bashism again... :-(

> Is it possible we could change the configure script to use /bin/bash
> instead of /bin/sh?  I think that solution would be the best in the
> long run.

No. ./configure *shall* be a POSIX compliant script. The real solution is
to fix ./configure to use POSIX-only syntax. I can do that, but I would
appreciate a patch ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

(*) In fact, there might be non-POSIX extensions in dash, but dash is not
    incorporating every existing bashisms.
YEM.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |