strip problem in busybox

ng@piments.com ng@piments.com
Fri May 8 11:43:00 GMT 2009

ng@piments.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile busybox with my new cross compiler but it fails
> at the final post , stripping the object file.
>
>  $ make CC="arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc"

>   CC      util-linux/volume_id/util.o
>   CC      util-linux/volume_id/volume_id.o
>   CC      util-linux/volume_id/xfs.o
>   AR      util-linux/volume_id/lib.a
>   LINK    busybox_unstripped
> Trying libraries: crypt m
>  Library crypt is not needed, excluding it
>  Library m is needed, can't exclude it (yet)
> Final link with: m
> strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
> `busybox_unstripped'
> make: *** [busybox] Error 1
>
> I found a post on busybox ML that seems to address this precise problem.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/busybox@busybox.net/msg02146.html
>
> I did a fresh SVN pull but the issue remains.
>
> Is this a defect in ct-cg or in the BB Makefile?
>
> Any way around this?
>
> TIA.

OK. Seems I forgot to run make menuconfig with CROSS_COMPILE set.
Now seems clean and I have an ARM executable.

make menuconfig CROSS_COMPILE="arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-"
make  CROSS_COMPILE="arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi-"

   LINK    busybox_unstripped
Trying libraries: crypt m
  Library crypt is not needed, excluding it
  Library m is needed, can't exclude it (yet)
Final link with: m

$ file busybox
busybox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), stripped

;)