[crosstool-NG] Design discussion

Rob Landley rob@landley.net
Tue Apr 7 07:55:00 GMT 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 15:47:29 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Rob,
> All,
>
> (apologies, forgot to add salutations in my previous mails).
>
> On Monday 06 April 2009 04:03:42 Rob Landley wrote:
> > For comparison purposes, let me tell you how I dealt with this set of
> > problems on my system.  Some of my design goals were:
>
> It seems it has come to the "mine is bigger than yours" type of argument,
> and I won't fight on this. End of story.

Wasn't trying to.

> You still haven't convinced me that there were _design_ flaws in
> crosstool-NG. That you and I don't pursue the same goal is quite obvious.
> But that's an entirely different matter.

I was trying to understand what your goals _were_.  The goal of being able to
insert new packages into arbitrary existing root filesystems without having
to rebuild any of those existing binaries (and without having to statically
link the new binaries) explains a lot of your approach.

It also makes your build system significantly more complicated to configure
and use for something that _is_ building a new system image from scratch, but
at least there's a good reason for it.

Rob
--
GPLv3 is to GPLv2 what Attack of the Clones is to The Empire Strikes Back.