New vs Old Kernel Headers

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Fri May 30 22:02:00 GMT 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Marco wrote:
> I have a question maybe someone can shed some light on.  If I build a
> cross toolchain, built with the latest gcc/glibc/kernel headers(lets say
> 2.6.24).  If the target platform uses a much older kernel (lets say
> 2.6.1 ), I'm under the impression that all the software built for the
> target should be using the kernel headers for 2.6.1.  Which means
> special care is needed not to include the 2.6.24 headers from the
> toolchain.

it depends on the libc.  if you're using glibc, then glibc comes with a
configure option where you tell it the oldest kernel version it can run on
(see the --enable-kernel configure option).  that way you can compile against
the very latest headers (2.6.25) while still having the C library work on
older versions (whatever given to --enable-kernel).
-mike