[CT_NG] crosstool-ng 1.1.0's cpp compile error

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Mon May 19 20:53:00 GMT 2008

Hello!

On Sunday 18 May 2008 16:22:28 Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2008-05-18 14:15, 임근식 wrote:
> > I download crosstool-ng ver 1.1.0. and I installed in /opt/ directory using
> > crosstool-ng ver 1.1.0.
> I would install it in /opt/crosstool-ng, not directly into /opt. :)

Yes, Andric is quite right.

To take things right:
 - you install crosstool-NG some where. Let's say it's in /opt/ct-ng
   (of course, you are absolutely free to install where you want, but it's
    sane to follow some /standard/ ways)

 - you set your PATH to include the /bin directory of crosstool-NG:
   export PATH="${PATH}:/opt/ct-ng/bin"

 - you create a directory where you'll work in. Let's say it's in a sub-dir
   in your home:  mkdir "${HOME}/work"

 - you go in that directory, and run crosstool-NG from there:
    cd "${HOME}/work"
    ct-ng help  # Or any other action...

 - you configure crosstool-NG to build a toolchain to install somewhere,
   let's say in "${HOME}/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}"

So, don't confuse things: where crosstool-NG is installed, where it runs in,
and where the toolchains gets installed in (and run from).

> > * error message: C++ compiler not installed on this system
> This means you need to install a C++ compiler on your system.

I guess he speaks of a cross compiler. There seem to be confusion between
cpp and g++, the formet being the C preprocessor, while the latter being the
actual C++ compiler.

> It looks
> like you're using CentOS,

CentOS is not a distribution I tested crosstool-NG on. Any report is
welcome! :-)

> You might also need other development components, see the crosstool-ng
> requirements for them.

I'm afraid there are no exhaustive list... :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | * _ * | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |