[crosstool-ng] ARM EABI problem

Martin Guy martinwguy@yahoo.it
Thu May 15 22:39:00 GMT 2008

On 5/15/08, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> soft-float (VFP? FPA?) support, while C library was built with
>  hard-float VFP support.

Just to clarify how messy it is, there are two concepts: floating
point format and floating point instructions.

Formats: There are two formats for storing FP numbers: Ilittle-endian
IEEE-754 (the same as the rest of world) and the old FPA format, which
is word-swapped IEEE-754 for the original ARM FPU that is so rare it's
mythical.

Instructions: If you compile with hard FPA instructions, it uses that
crazy middle-endian 45670123 format. Portability Bugsville, Arizona.
If you compile using soft-float, or with VFP or Maverick FPU
instructions, it uses 01234567 little-endian IEEE-754.