MIPS cross-compiler to build kernel for SGI O2?

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Mon Mar 10 17:05:00 GMT 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, David Daney wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   has anyone verified that they have a MIPS toolchain that will
>>> cross-compile a linux kernel to run on an SGI O2?  thanks.
>>>
>> Yes, I have built recent kernels for my O2 with both GCC-4.2 and
>> GCC-4.3 cross compilers running on x86_64-pc-linux.
>
> did you start from scratch and do a linux install on your O2?

Yes.

> if so,
> can you supply the details?

First I installed debian for the O2, then I replaced the kernel with a
cross built 2.4.23 and 2.4.25 built on my x86_64-pc-linux system.  Both
2.4.23 and 2.4.25 boot with no problem for me.

> and which version is your O2?  R5000 or
> R10000?

R5000

The r10000 is not well supported.  Messages posted to linux-mips.org
indicated that the r10000 problems are being worked on.

>  thanks.  (and the config file you used to generate the
> toolchain with crosstool would be great.  in other words, how did you
> do it from beginning to end?)

I don't use cross tool.

Follow the instructions for cross linux-from-scratch for mips64 except
don't apply any of the patches as current binutils and GCC don't require
them.