Error compiling kernel with Crosstool cross-compiler

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sat Jun 21 20:10:00 GMT 2008

Juliana Su wrote:

> softirq.c: In function 'do_softirq':
> softirq.c:79: error: invalid lvalue in increment
> softirq.c:82: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
> softirq.c:102: error: invalid lvalue in decrement
> softirq.c: In function 'cpu_raise_softirq':
> softirq.c:116: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
> softirq.c: In function 'tasklet_action':
> softirq.c:205: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
> softirq.c: In function 'tasklet_hi_action':
> softirq.c:239: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
> softirq.c: In function 'ksoftirqd':
> softirq.c:380: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
> make[2]: *** [softirq.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bucknell/mvistappc_2_4_devel/kernel'
> make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bucknell/mvistappc_2_4_devel/kernel'
> make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
>
> I wasn't sure how to get around this error. Is anybody familiar with
> these errors? Did I choose the wrong combination of GCC and GLibc for my
> cross-compiler?

At the time that Linux 2.4.26 was released (2004-04-14), the latest
released version of gcc was 3.3.3, with 3.4.0 just around the corner
(2004-04-18.)  gcc 4.1.1 wouldn't even exist for another two years
(2006-05-24) so it's not surprising that this combination isn't
compatible because gcc tends to get stricter over time.  Those errors
seem to refer to a gcc extension that was deprecated starting in 3.4 and
apparently removed by the time of 4.1.

You can most likely work around this without too much fuss, but IMO
you'd be better off using versions that were historically coincident.
That way you get free validation that it's a stable combination, whereas
with time-machine mix-and-match you have to determine that yourself.

Brian