Crosstool and /bin/sh

Chuck Meade chuckmeade@mindspring.com
Sat Apr 19 13:21:00 GMT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Jonathan and Caroline Moore
> <jandcmoore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  If /bin/sh is not pointing at something sensible like bash then this
>>  can lead crosstool into lots of trouble. Ubuntu for example points at
>>  dash. Might save others some time if you could add a quick check.
>
> Hmm, I had tried to keep crosstool pure posix sh.  Where are the bashisms?

Hi Dan,

There are a bunch of references if you google for:
  ubuntu dash crosstool

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+dash+crosstool&btnG=Google+Search

Ubuntu uses dash for /bin/sh.  dash chokes on some glibc header file lines
generated by the build.

Here is a sample error line, copied from one of those Google hits:
  /home/skorpio/crosstool-0.43/build/powerpc-405-linux-gnu/gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.3.6/build-glibc/csu/version-info.h:2:1: missing terminating " character

Hope that helps,
Chuck