Linux Montavista versus crosstool

Enrico Weigelt weigelt@metux.de
Sat Mar 31 17:35:00 GMT 2007

* Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Practically, you may run into problems with current user space
> utilities (like udev) requiring a recent kernel.  When I have
> to work on a full featured system running the 2.4 kernel, it
> is generally a lot of pain.  But, with simple systems you may
> be fine.

on 2.6 I didn't have any major problems yet. For example I'm
building complete images for VPS'es with crosstool's toolchains.

> My strategy is always to use the latest of everything if possible.

ACK. Mine too. When I'm doing some fixes, they're put to the
OSS-QM repository and sent to the upstream. Sometimes they make
it into the next release, sometimes it takes years ;-o

> If you run into problems, chances are there are people interested
> in helping you fix them.

Well, at least for most packages. But there also are some projects,
which force you to use very old and outdated stuff like pre-2.51
autoconf. Mozilla is one of the examples - they still don't see
why it's worth having a look at my autoconf-porting patches, also
my other patches for allowing to disable unused/unwanted stuff,
kicking off third-party libs, etc. Strange people ;-o

cu