mips & binutils 2.15, gcc 3.4.5, glibc 2.3.6

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Mon Jan 22 17:24:00 GMT 2007

Chris MacGregor wrote:
> I'm currently using gcc 3.4.5 & glibc 2.3.6 with binutils 2.15 under
> crosstool 0.42 to target mips32 (gcc build flags --with-arch=mips32
> --with-tune=mips32 --with-float=soft, etc.).
>
> We're seeing some odd behavior that I am starting to suspect may be a
> linker bug - a load from a -30184(gp), which is a location in
> __JCR_LIST__, returns 0 - that location is one of the very few in (that
> area of) __JCR_LIST__ that is 0.
>
> Anyway, has anyone seen or heard of a problem like this, or had success
> or failure with a similar version combination?
>
> Particularly, any comments on the suitability of binutils 2.15 or any
> other for mips?
>
> Any help or pointers appreciated.

There are many problems with the binutils ld in version 2.15 under mips.

I would recommend either the CVS HEAD version or 2.17 with this patch
applied:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2006-11/msg00059.html

Specifically, I think the problem you are seeing mignt be fixed by said
patch.

I am running GCC-3.4.3/binutils-2.17 with the patch/glibc 2.3.3 with
good results.

David Daney