Use a Linux compiler or give up ?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Jan 10 18:03:00 GMT 2007

On 07 January 2007 15:54, Allan Clark wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I was surprised by an error that implies that toolchains can only be
> built on Linux; has anyone else seen this?
>
> ====

/opt/crosstool/gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6/mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu/mipsel-unknown-l
inux-gnu/include/asm/sgidefs.h:18:2:
> error: #error Use a Linux compiler or give up.

> /*
>  * Using a Linux compiler for building Linux seems logic but not to
>  * everybody.
>  */

  Nope, that's not logic, that's a non-sequitur, or some kind of
map-vs-territory confusion.

> #ifndef __linux__
> #error Use a Linux compiler or give up.
> #endif

  It sounds more like a drunken rant than an error message to me.  Maybe
there's something completely fragile about the MIPS platform or SGI's header
files, but I have no problem cross-compiling arm-linux kernels on 'doze under
cygwin.

> I'm building on a Mac, I've got a quick patch inplace to cheat the
> MacOSX as/ld version issues.  Is it unrealistic to think of
> cross-compiling on Mac?

  Mac has some quirks relating to cctools-vs-binutils differences, which you'd
know about better than me, but I don't see why it should be expected to fail,
since you'll only be using the host tools to build the cross-binutils.  I
suggest you just delete the error message and see how far your build gets.

    cheers,
      DaveK