cross compiling against foreign libraries

Ken MacLeod ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us
Fri Sep 22 22:31:00 GMT 2006

I'm trying to cross-compile an app against pre-existing binary
libraries built using a different toolchain.

I thought this was possible, even easy, but now I'm running into
problems that are making me doubt where I got my info from.

The binary libraries are ours, built with a GCC toolchain built with crosstool.

We're publishing API libraries for customers to build against.  We'd
like to allow the customers to use their preferred cross-development
environments and toolchains with our libraries.  We can provide all
the necessary libraries (libc and up).

I'm trying to compile our API demo clients against the API libraries
using a couple of different vendor's toolchains.  One toolchain
appears to work fine.  The next toolchain wasn't happy with the
libraries in '$TARGETROOT/lib' but got further when the libs were
linked into '$TARGETROOT/usr/lib'.  Now it's complaining that
libc.so.6 has undefined references to _dl_ symbols like
'_dl_relocate_object@GLIBC_PRIVATE'.

Looking at traces and verbose output I'm concerned about libraries and
headers from the toolchain's directories being used instead of the
target's directories.

My basic question is: is cross-compiling against foreign libraries
supposed to work?

If the answer is yes, are there any HOWTOs or better search keywords
to use to get more info?

Thanks,

  -- Ken