C++ exception problems in mingw cross compiler

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Tue Sep 19 14:13:00 GMT 2006

>> Unfortunately, I don't quite get a working setup with this, as the SJLJ
>> exception code isn't correctly built. The problem appears to be that
>> certain routines are compiled only if "__USING_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS__" is
>> set, which it isn't. And I can't figure out how it's supposed to get
>> defined. "configure" does not define this macro - only (optionally)
>> "CONFIG_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS". (*Sigh*. Is it really necessary to make the
>> build setup so complex?)
>>
>> Help?
>>

>   It should get defined if you used "--enable-sjlj-exceptions" on your
> configure commandline IIUIC.

Apparently it's not quite as simple as that, but I've figured it all out
now. It depends on what configure commandline you are talking about,
actually, as it turns out that parts of the build rely on macros that
are automatically defined by the preprocessor based on the choice of
exception type. This means that the compiler you are using for the
build, as opposed to the compiler you are building, must be configured
via "--enable-sjlj-exceptions". Maybe the build compiler is expected to
be an "internal" one based on the same configure, but it isn't in my
setup; I'm using a two-stage approach where a "minimal" compiler is
built first, and used to compile a "full" compiler as well as the C lib
(I'm not sure if this is necessary any more, but let's not discuss that
right now), and it's the "minimal" compiler that's used to compile the
important files. Fortunately, I can easily reconfigure this compiler,
and now I have, and it works.

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

- Toralf