mips-elf with newlib

Michael N. Moran mike@mnmoran.org
Tue Oct 31 18:52:00 GMT 2006

Michael N. Moran wrote:

> Follow up:
>
> The build of mips-elf GCC 4.1.1 on my Fedora Core 2 machine
> completed without incident. Thus, it seems that there is an
> issue with RH9 host or environment. I will look at the binutils
> build on my RH9 box more closely today.

Final follow-up:

As much as I'd like to blame the toolchain
apparently the pilot <cough>me</cough> was to blame. :-)

I have succeeded in building the mips-elf GCC and learned
a valuable lesson about keeping my PATH variable clean.

Apparently there were two issues:

o I had a '.' in my PATH. This caused the derived object
   "gcc/as" and friend to be used when the "gcc" directory
   build was intending to use the native as.

o I had an old/partial mips-elf binutils installed and
   visible in my PATH.

After correcting my PATH I now have the following installed:

# mips-elf-ld -V
GNU ld version 2.16.1
   Supported emulations:
    elf32ebmip

# mips-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: mips-elf
Configured with: ../gcc-4.1.1/configure --target=mips-elf
--prefix=/tools/gnu/gcc/4.1.1/mips-elf
--disable-newlib-supplied-syscalls --enable-languages=c,c++
--disable-shared --disable-libssp --with-newlib
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.1.1

Thanks to Kai, Khem, and others for keeping me
from "the bottle" and giving me a modicum hope :-)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1