Trouble building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain on Mac OS X with crosstool 0.42

Jon Sharp jon@jonsharp.net
Fri Oct 20 16:14:00 GMT 2006

From: Jon Sharp <jon@jonsharp.net>
Date: October 20, 2006 9:49:00 AM CDT
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Subject: Trouble building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain on Mac
OS X with crosstool 0.42

Hello all,

I have been trying to build a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain
suitable for use with my Gentoo PPC distcc setup, hosted on my Intel-
based Macintosh, running Mac OS X 10.4.7.  First of all, I'm actually
trying to match the values of my Gentoo 2006.1 toolchain, which are
GCC 4.1.1, Binutils 2.17, and Glibc 2.4.  I  created a gcc-4.1.1-
glibc-2.4.dat file with these values in an attempt to get it to
build, but alas, it did not work, as it choked on binutils as
described below.  I then went on to try one of the existing .dat
files, and it failed in a similar way.

I read in some of the mailing list archives I found that there seems
to be a problem with the Mac OS X-bundled make when trying to build
gprof in binutils.  A workaround seemed to be to invoke make with '-
r'.  That did appear to get me past that particular problem as I was
able to get through the binutils build.  However, I then get stuck on
the glibc build when the configure script times out trying to get the
version of 'as'.

Anyway, I was hoping that perhaps someone knew of some of these
existing Mac OS X host platform problems and knew of possible
workarounds.  My Gentoo PPC box is a 400Mhz G3, and I would love to
improve compilation times by distcc'ing the work over to my much
faster Intel Mac.

Thanks again!

--
Jon