building gcc on cygwin with --target=i486-linux-gnu

Nathan Kidd nathan-svn@spicycrypto.ca
Tue Oct 10 17:52:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 08 October 2006 17:03, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:
>> Hm... This explains something. But isn't it weird when linker tries to
>> find target libc in /lib/libc.so.6? not in some specific place like
>> /opt/i486-linux-gnu-ld/lib or some place like this, at least when I
>> built a gcc cross compiler for sparc on linux the build process tried
>> /opt/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/lib/libc.so.
[snip]

>   It's a whole load less trouble if you can just copy /lib and /include across
> from a real machine and use them to save the step of building a target glibc.

Keep in mind that on some systems (e.g. RedHat 9, Suse 6.x) libc.so
looks like this:

   GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.6 libc_nonshared.a )

That is, even though you load /my-super-linux/libs/libc.so it tries to
open Cygwin's /lib/libc.so.6.  You have to edit your libc.so so the
proper libc.so.6 gets picked up. (I just ensure my lib path is correct
and don't put any path prefix at all).   When all else fails,
SysInternal's filemon will let you know for sure which libc is being loaded.

-Nathan