Where to start for EP9302 toolchain

Martin Guy martinwguy@yahoo.it
Tue Nov 21 18:28:00 GMT 2006

2006/11/20, Chase Douglas <cndougla@purdue.edu>:
> The following e-mail says that there are some problems
> with compiling some code with this toolchain:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-01/msg00093.html.

A huge amount of progress has been made in this area since Jan 2005

> Would it be possible to create two toolchains,
> one with fp and one without, so I can compile most programs without
> but possibly the few that need it with.

Only if you switch to using the ARM EABI, which allows you to link
soft-float and hard-float objects into a single executable, but as it
is link-incompatible with the old ABI, you have to build the kernel
and all of your target's userland using it.

This means using gcc-4.1.1 (which is when armv4t-family support
started working with EABI) and glibc-2.4 is favourite for EABI too.
You probably want these most recent versions anyway cos that's where
the support for this new stuff is most mature.
You can then use maverick FP or not on a per-sourcefile basis, though
I can't think why you'd ever want it off if the code-reliability
issues have been sorted out and you know that your target system is
EP93xx

For more on what the EABI is see wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
and you will find my i386->armeabi crosstool-built cross toolchain
(and technical notes on how to do it) under
http://freaknet.org/martin/crosstool

I haven't used the crunch support, but would be very interested to
hear what success you have with it.