generating csu/version-info.h unterminated string problem

David Kahn dmkahn@gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 03:53:00 GMT 2006

david howard wrote:
> regarding an old glibc build problem "generating csu/version-info.h
> unterminated string problem"
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-01/msg00023.html
> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-01/msg00023.html>
>
> it reoccurs in the latest Ubuntu release 6.10 Edgy, apparently due to
> Ubuntu's use of 'dash' instead of 'bash'
> as the default shell. I hit the error, then saw the posts that it could
> be a shell problem, and linked bash instead of dash and it worked.
>
> I was building with glibc-2.3.3

That csu stuff is a pile. I also hit it and
described it here (after finding somebody elses
suggested fix)

http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2006-06/msg00183.html

And the patch I used to workaround it, which I think
makes it shell agnostic, is posted here:

http://www.flex.com/~dmk/glibc-2.3.2-allow-solaris.patch

The underlying problem is the use of echo rather than
printf in the shell script.

I was building with glibc-2.3.2

-David