HELP: Instructions on building MPC85xx (e500) toolchain with the latest Crosstool (0.42)

Zhuang Yuyao mlistz@gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:49:00 GMT 2006

Khem Raj wrote:
> Zhuang Yuyao wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've searched this mail-list for instructions on building a MPC85xx
>> (e500) cross-compiling toolchain, there are a lot of mails related to
>> this topic but the instructions are either in-complete or
>> contradictive. Would anyone please share your experience on how to
>> build such a toolchain with the latest crosstool (0.42 by now)? It
>> would be nice if someone can provide the complete build files,
>> including powerpc-e500.dat and powerpc-e500.sh which are compatible
>> with the latest crosstool-0.42.

> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2005-January/016398.html

Thanks for your reply, I had read this article but it's a bit outdated.
I've just successfully compiled (just compiled, not tested) the 8540
toolchain *without* SPE support and now trying to make a SPE-enabled
toolchain based on patches from ELDK 4.0 (http://denx.org). I've failed
for several times, now the crosstool is still compiling on my debian server.

Here is a question somewhat off-topic: is SPE important to increase the
performance of a MPC854X board which is used as a VPN gateway?