glibc-2.4 released (was: Re: never mind: no linuxthreads in glibc-2.4)

Khem Raj khem@mvista.com
Mon Mar 13 18:57:00 GMT 2006

Dan Kegel said the following on 03/13/2006 07:13 AM:
> On 3/13/06, Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For immediate testing with crosstool < 0.43 you can simply set
>>
>> GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.4
>> GLIBC_THREADS_FILENAME=glibc-ports-2.4
>>
>> which both prevents it from automatically adding the threads file and
>> simultaneously perverts its linuxthreads code to apply the ports
>> collection instead. By a stroke of luck it already knows about cd-ing
>> into the glibc dir before unpacking anything called glibc-[a-z]*-2*
>>

> Clever / lucky!
>

>> The real solution is a GLIBC_PORTS_FILENAME clause, since older
>> versions have both 2.3.6-linuxthreads and 2.3.6-ports, and to embed
>> knowledge only to set GLIBC_THREADS_FILENAME by default if glibc < 2.4.
>> Or maybe always to add the ports collection instead of the threads tarball
>> if glibc >= 2.4
>> What seem righter?
>>

> How about:
> * making GLIBC_THREADS_FILENAME optional, and if it's missing,
>   we don't try to unpack it
> * requiring GLIBC_PORTS_FILENAME to be set if we want the ports
>   addon loaded
> In other words, avoiding embedding knowledge about this stuff in crosstool.
> It's tempting to look at regularizing how glibc addons are handled in crosstool,
> since as you discovered, glibc addons do seem to follow a logical
> pattern of sorts.
> - Dan
>
> --
> Wine for Windows ISVs: http://kegel.com/wine/isv
>
> --

I have posted a patch for same a few days back here

http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2006-03/msg00090.html

which takes care of ports addon. According to new changes to
--enable-add-on implementation

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-02/msg00102.html

ports can be anywhere and should be added with --enable-add-on
I have tried to add this to NPTL patch that I posted for crosstools.