Reg : Powerpc 750 gcc cross compiler Doubt

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Jun 28 21:54:00 GMT 2006

On 6/28/06, kiran Pakala <kiran.pakala@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a project that I would like to build with powerpc750 gcc cross
> compiler.The test cases are single source files so it is easy to build
> them like I tried below :
> "/opt/crosstool/gcc-4.0.1-glibc-2.3.5/powerpc-750-linux-gnu/bin/powerpc-750-linux-gnu-gcc
> -static bubble.c -o bubble"
>
> But if  I have a project to built by powerpc which has files scattered
> around that need to be included and things being set in the makefile
> and other files.
> writing down implicitly on the command line is one solution i guess,
> I mean the includes and then the plugging in the object files that are
> needed by the main file. Is there a way around this like configuring
> with the target architecture(powerpc).
> Please excuse me for bothering you but I am new to linux and also to
> crosscompiling.

The usual thing to do is set CC to the compiler, then ignore the fact
that you're
using a crosscompiler.  This usually just works, assuming you're using
a modern build system.

http://www.ailis.de/~k/docs/crosscompiling/
has some notes about how to crosscompile a few common libraries
(along with some outdated notes about how to build a crosscompiler).

You might also look at frameworks that make crosscompiling standard
packages easy, e.g. ptxdist, buildroot, or familiar.
- Dan