Off Topic: Finally installing Linux, sugestions for distos?

Steve Iribarne (GMail) netstv@gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:13:00 GMT 2006

On 6/2/06, Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:
> Daniel:
>
> Grant Likely wrote:
>
> > On 6/2/06, Daniel Santos <daniel@bytesage.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not much of a GUI guy as long as I have a terminal session I"m
> >> usually happy.  But I do like to do stuff by GUI sometimes.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the off-topic, but I just wanted to get a little input from
> >> other developers.  I think I need a real Linux system to do this
> >> development.  I do enjoy the fact that I've been able to do so much on
> >> this system so far with Cygwin, and it's already somewhat of a "Cygborg"
> >> (running sshd, inetd, crond, syslogd, etc.etc.)
> >

> > I started with Red Hat,
> > Then for a few years I was a happy Debian user,
> > followed by a few years in Gentoo land;
> > Now I walk the Ubuntu pastures.
> >
> > I've had great experiences in all three.  But really, you can't go
> > very wrong with Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora Core.  All are easy to
> > install, easy to use and easy to maintain.  Gentoo takes some more
> > work; but rewarding none the less.
>

> I followed the same progression, but I'm happily stuck at Debian.
>
> If I had to do it all over again, I think I would start with Ubuntu or
> Fedora.  Both have great installers, work on nearly everything you can
> throw at them, and are well supported.
>
> Debian, of course, rocks.  :)  But the currently-shipping installer can
> be difficult for new users.  I've never used Gentoo.

I'm a newer kid on the block.  Worked many years on Sun Solaris and
Ultrix.  The last two years+ I have been using Linux because of work.
 Because I showed up late I started with Fedora Core 2.  I tried
Fedora Core 4 but it worked so much differently than FC2 that I went
back to FC2.  I really like it.

Many of the other developers at my current job use Mandrake and I
don't hear anyone complaining.

That's my 2 cents.

-stv