Cannot compile .ko, how can I use gcc-3.4.4 with glibc 2.3.5 built by crosstool to compile .ko module?

Michael N. Moran mike@mnmoran.org
Wed Jan 25 21:59:00 GMT 2006

Roman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to compile a module. I don't know how to make .ko file.
> All examples, i have seen are a little confusing.
>
> I have tried to compile a very simple device driver.
>
> The .o file I compile cannot be loaded into the kernel, because the
> format is wrong. How can I compile a .ko file.
>
> I read the faq http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/ , but it did not help
> either.

IIRC, beginning in the 2.6 kernel series, there is an
... interesting ... new procedure
where the program derived from "scripts/modpost.c"
(found in the root of your kernel tree) must be used
to build a module header using your kernel's Module.symvers
file and the your main module.o file, The resulting file
is subsequently linked using "ld -r" with your otherwise
normal module.o file(s) to yeild the module.ko file.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1