change name

Bill Gatliff bgat@billgatliff.com
Wed Jan 25 14:52:00 GMT 2006

Guys:

NomadZhaoSZ@viatech.com.cn wrote:

>I get a toolchain, the tools name is abc-elf-ar, abc-elf-as, abc-elf-gcc, abc-elf-g++ and so on. But all this tools are compiled form GNU toolchain.

Let me clarify Nomad's question, since he has already contacted me
off-list and I didn't have a satisfactory answer (to myself either).

He has a vendor-provided toolchain, which he thinks is a GNU toolchain.
It tells the world that it's an "abc-elf", and is pretty thorough about
it. To wit, just modifying the application prefix to be "abc-elf" during
configure doesn't do the trick, since objdump --info will still tell you
what the --target setting actually was. In Nomad's case, his toolchain
says "abc-elf" throughout which suggests a fair amount of source tweaking.

Nomad is trying to figure out what kind of toolchain it really is, and
in particular whether it's a new port or just a rebranded ARM, MIPS, or
whatever. The ugly part is that he hasn't been given the source code,
and doesn't seem to be able to get it.

That's what I know.

It could in fact be a ruse, in that Nomad wants to *create* such a
toolchain and wants some advice. But to date his conversations to me
have been steadfastly to the contrary.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff