[discuss] Problem building cross compiler for x86_64

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Jan 20 12:53:00 GMT 2006

On 1/20/06, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Thanks a lot guys......could successfully built my compiler. But
> there are few points which i am confused . I made the compiler using
> crosstool provided by Dan Kegel.

What version?

> However I want to create a rpm of it

Have a look at  the script 'buildsrpms.sh' I provided in the latest crosstool.
It shows how to make rpms.
The download step is clearly separated, so you can
comment it out and instead put the tarballs into the
$TARBALLS_DIR it defines.

> but since my machine is behind a firewall I cant connect to net, but
> the script by crosstool doesnt seem to work. I have copied the
> required tarballs in the expected directory but seems whenever the
> script runs it deletes it .
> I have exported NO_DOWNLOAD=1.

The specfile I provide sets that; you shouldn't have to.

> Below is the error
> Before running the script
>
> katiyar@nasvm1:~/test/build/tarballs-gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2> ls
> binutils-2.15.tar.gz  gdb-6.3.tar.bz2     glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.2.tar.gz
> gcc-3.3.3.tar.gz      glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz  linux-2.4.26.tar.gz
>
> After running the script
> + test -f build/tarballs-gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2/glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz
> + abort 'file glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz not found'
> + echo file glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz not found
> file glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz not found
> + exec false

You probably got the directory wrong, or something.
But since your goal is an .rpm, start over and use
rerpm.sh / buildrpms.sh / buildsrpms.sh.   They're
a bit painful, and require lots of reading, but they
will generate a good set of rpms.  You should only
use them once you've figured out your other problem, though:

> Other doubt is that the compiler which I have built generates the
> binary which runs on a 64 machine but not on a 32 bit machine. Is it
> possible to build binaries which can run on both?

Yes.   Make sure that the 'gcc' on the path is a 32 bit compiler
(or a shell script that mimics one).
- Dan