[discuss] Problem building cross compiler for x86_64

Leon Woestenberg leonw@mailcan.com
Thu Jan 19 22:08:00 GMT 2006

Hello all,

Dan Kegel wrote:

>On 1/19/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:35, Kai Ruottu wrote:
>>

>>> When not knowing how this magic "crosstool" does things, from the
>>>messages here I thought having seen
>>>people really producing their glibcs two or more times, once for each
>>>host and then still another time for the
>>>native host and GCC when trying to create that with a crosscompiler...
>>>

>>if you dont really know whats going on why do you continue posting pointless
>>e-mails ... all you're doing is wasting people's time
>>

>As other folks have noted, Kai is a very knowledgable fellow,
>and his posts are often extremely helpful.  He is intent
>on spreading knowledge about how to configure and use gcc.
>He doesn't like crosstool, and says so when the topic comes up,
>but that's just something you have to accept; his signal to noise
>ratio is really quite good.

His messages tend to be coded in metaphors and comparisons with
experiences from real life, both might introduce ambiguity to people not
familiar with the metaphors or external information Kai refers to.

On the subject of engineering black magic, I prefer the straight-to-the
point informative emails on the lists, sprinkled with a bit of
redundancy as to keep people on the righteous path if they tend to lose
focus. But's that's just my personal preference.

In all, I am enjoying learning from all you guys and gals experience,
and am a bit ashamed to leech more than I can offer back.

So, thanks for all the fish so far. What's on the menu next?

Regards,

Leon.