[discuss] Problem building cross compiler for x86_64

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jan 19 18:22:00 GMT 2006

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:35, Kai Ruottu wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>  Blimey, "cross-glibc" was just shorthand for "cross-compiled glibc",
>>> how on earth you could claim to think I was talking about some kind of
>>> magic C library that could somehow run on one machine yet the function
>>> calls take effect on another?  This is just pedantry with words!
>>
>>  When not knowing how this magic "crosstool" does things, from the
>> messages here I thought having seen
>> people really producing their glibcs two or more times, once for each
>> host and then still another time for the
>> native host and GCC when trying to create that with a crosscompiler...
>
> if you dont really know whats going on why do you continue posting
> pointless e-mails ... all you're doing is wasting people's time
> -mike

  Mike, Kai's intent might be a bit unclear owing to the language barrier, and
he often expresses his meaning through sarcasm, but he does actually know what
he's talking about, and he does have a pretty important point to make: that,
if you already have a prebuilt binary glibc for your target, building a new
one from source is not just a waste of time, but potentially a source of bugs
or very subtle and hard-to-track incompatibilities, since it might not come
out /quite/ the same as the old one.  This issue is very important for people
working with standard engineering practices that emphasis stability,
reliability and careful management of change control.

    cheers,
      DaveK