[discuss] Problem building cross compiler for x86_64

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jan 19 16:17:00 GMT 2006

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>  I'm perfectly happy to do so myself, building a cross-glibc
>>
>  This sounded a little odd... Why this "cross-"  here?

  Well, a x86 glibc would be bugger-all use on my ARM target.

>  In the very beginning when not understanding much, I produced some kind
> of "cross-glibc"'s,
> something which would be installed into '$prefix/$target/lib' during the
> 'make install'...  But then
> I understood the obvious fact: "If a glibc should be installed into the
> native system, it should be
> produced for installation into the native system!", someone told here...

  I'm not going to install it into the native system.

> So the '--prefix=/usr'
> is quite obligatory in the glibc build. And the installation happens
> using 'install_root=$sysroot',
> with this one gets quite a 1:1 image for the natively installed glibc...
>
>  When copying the C library between the cross and native systems, it
> doesn't matter whether
> the chicken (native) or the egg (cross) system was first, sometimes it
> is the chicken, sometimes
> it is the egg... But the fact is that something should be in sync
> between these and updated on
> the other after updating it on the other.  The C library is this thing...

  Discussing the finer technical points of the flaws of something that I said
I *wasn't* going to do seems fairly pointless to me.

>  So there isn't any 'native glibc' and 'cross glibc', but only 'glibc'
> which will be produced for
> some '$host', which is the same as '$target' when talking about
> libraries. No dependency for
> any $host in the GCC build meaning...

  Blimey, "cross-glibc" was just shorthand for "cross-compiled glibc", how on
earth you could claim to think I was talking about some kind of magic C
library that could somehow run on one machine yet the function calls take
effect on another?  This is just pedantry with words!

    cheers,
      DaveK