crosstool - x86_64 as i686->i686 or x86_64->i686

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Jan 10 11:02:00 GMT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Keith Kyzivat <kkyzivat@physiometrix.com> wrote:
>> I've got a sucessful canadian cross that is x86_64 built, i686 hosted
>> and i686 targetted, but ran into some ranlib problems that I fixed. ...

>> The obvious thing to choose was to set RANLIB the same way I set AR and
>> CC, with the ranlib generated from step 1.
>> investigating crosstool.sh seemed to support that argument, and off I
>> sent crosstool.
>>
>> Now it's done, and voila! I've got a canadian cross x86_64 built  i686
>> -> i686 cross-compiler.
>>
>> Now, here's the question: why is RANLIB not detected properly?  Why
>> wasn't this caught before by Dan when he put in the bit of info on
>> canadian cross builds?
>
> Who knows!  Sounds like an obvious thing to add, though.
> Thanks!

  It's probably because ranlib has become somewhat neglected since the same
functionality was incorporated into ar.

  Out of curiosity, why isn't $RANLIB just defined in terms of $AR?

RANLIB=$(AR) -s

    cheers,
      DaveK