specifying native compiler

David Karlton dkarlton@themediamall.com
Tue Jan 3 18:52:00 GMT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 1/3/06, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
>
>>David Karlton wrote:
>>
>>>I have crosstool-0.38 (kegel.com/crosstool), and want to build using a
>>>different gcc compiler that I have on my local machine. Many of the
>>>scripts seem to default to CC=gcc.  Is there one meta-override so I
>>>could specify a different native compiler?
>>
>>  If I understand what you're asking right, and if I remember correctly, you
>>should just be able to write
>>
>>CC=<your_gcc_version> script.name [-options]
>

> Nope, sorry, crosstool.sh doesn't obey that convention.
> There's even a hardcoded line or two like
>   CC=gcc ...
>   BUILD_CC=gcc
> at one point in it.
>
> I'd say create a fake gcc script that invokes the desired compiler,
> and put that on your path.   Alternately, modify crosstool.sh to uniformly
> use BUILD_CC, and make it easy for users to set that; then submit the
> change so others can benefit.
> - Dan
> p.s. Wow, a three-DK thread!

Even the synergy of the three-DK thread isn't enough for me to be able
to make big changes in crosstool.sh.  I'm not quite experienced enough.
  For the meantime, I'm running with a script in my path named "gcc"
that points to my alternative compiler (gcc32).  The build is churning
as we speak...

The whole reason I got into this mess is that I am trying to compile
gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3 for MIPS, on Fedora Core 4.  In so doing, I ran
into this issue:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2005-07/msg00156.html

Hence, the gcc32 attempt.

This is my second toolchain for MIPS (we're compiling for small set top
boxes that have varied installations of glibc & gcc libraries).  I
managed to get gcc-3.3.4-glibc-2.3.2 working from a build on Fedora Core
4, with some patches in the glibc-2.3.2 configure script (to allow gcc
version 4+), and binutils (fixing a 60k bloat issue, previous thread
"crosstool bloat").

dk