any ETA for ct-0.40?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday@mindspring.com
Tue Jan 3 12:45:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Grant Likely wrote:

> Robert Schwebel wrote:

> >>from a while back, i recall dan suggesting he was going to jump
> >>straight to 0.40 from 0.38, that's all.
> >

> > Dan, wouldn't this be a great idea to put crosstool into some revision
> > control system? I just wanted to check if you have newer patches, but
> > that's a little bit difficult without...

> (Yes, I know this is extra noise, but ....)
> Dan, have you considered git+cogito?
>
> install GIT:     http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html#installing_git
> install Cogito:  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/cogito/README
> easy user guide: http://wellington.pm.org/archive/200510/git/

i don't have a strong opinion either way on whether a version control
system is necessary, but i *do* think there has to be a mechanism to
get patches in and make newer releases available more frequently.

several weeks ago, i submitted some sizable patches to support both
gcc-4.0.2 and glibc-2.3.6, as well as some SH-related patches, but
without a new release, those patches aren't doing anyone any good.

i have some more patches i'd like to submit but i'd like to do that
with a new release as a baseline.  i don't want to start submitting
patches on top of patches so i'm just going to hold off until i see
something new.

if GIT+cogito would solve the problem, that would suit me just fine.
in a sense, there doesn't even *need* to be an official version
numbering scheme for crosstool.  since it's just a tool, it could
easily be put under version control and people could always just work
with the latest pull.

whatever works to get more frequent releases would make me happy.

rday