Asking gcc for the include directory location?

Toralf Lund toralf@procaptura.com
Thu Dec 7 10:44:00 GMT 2006

>> Is there any way I can get gcc to tell me where the "normal" include
>> directory is located?
>
> No, AFAIK  The 'gcc' is only the "compiler driver" and so doesn't need
> or handle headers
> at all...
Yeah, but it doesn't handle libraries, either, yet it will tell me where
those may be located...
>   The clue is in the question: "Which part of GCC needs and handles
> the headers?"
>
>> I mean, for my system's native compiler, this directory is
>> "/usr/include", while on e.g. my arm-coff cross-gcc, it's
>> "/usr/arm-coff/include". Is there any way to ask the compilers to
>> print out these values? If not, how about the full "built-in" include
>> path?
>
> There seems to be no "standard" way for this.  Especially for C++
> etc.  Anyway when understanding
> that it is the C preprocessor, 'cpp', which needs headers, trying it
> instead of 'gcc', should give something :
>
>   arm-coff-cpp -v
For the use I have in mind, I won't know the exact name of the
preprosessor, though. The idea is to find a general way to determine the
include directory (or directories) based on a variable containing the
name of the compiler (driver). The compiler may be assumed to be some
gcc variant, but nothing is known about the exact version, and it may be
a native compiler or one of the cross compilers for several different
targets.

I suppose I might extract the name as indicated below, however...

> Like :
>
> kai@Dell:~> cpp-arm-coff-3.2 -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/arm-coff/3.2.3/specs
> Thread model: single
[ ... ]

> After gcc-3.3 the "real C preprocessor" was included in the "real
> compilers" like 'cc1'
> and 'cc1plus', so running them with some options would tell the
> headers search paths.
> But how to run them without knowing where they are?   One way is to
> use the 'gcc'
> option '-print-prog-name=cc1' or '-print-prog-name=cc1plus', for
> instance :
>
> kai@Dell:~> `gcc-arm-coff-3.3 -print-prog-name=cc1plus` -v
[ ... ]

So, the information is there, but getting the data and extracting the
right piece is rather cumbersome. What I thought, really.

To bad ;-/