More ARM binutils fuckage

Khem Raj kraj@mvista.com
Wed Dec 6 03:22:00 GMT 2006

Lennert Buytenhek said the following on 12/5/2006 7:10 PM:

>>> -gnu.  It is a common misconception that you would need an EABI
>>> toolchain to build an EABI kernel.  You can use any gcc 4.1 to build
>>> EABI kernels with.
>>>
>> I guess there are two things here.
>>
>> 1. The kernel is capable of running EABI binaries.
>>
>> For this case you do not require a EABI toolchain so configuring gcc
>> with arm*-*-linux-gnu would do.
>>

> The kernel itself needs to be EABI to be able to run EABI userland
> binaries.

I dont think so. You can have kernel compiled with Old ABI compiler and
it still will run EABI binaries with right config options.
it might needs some wrappers in glibc though.

>> 2. Kernel itself it compiled as EABI binary.
>>
>> This would need a complete EABI toolchain. (configure with
>> arm*-*-linux-gnueabi )
>>

> No, it does not.

How would you generate a EABI binary with a non EABI toolchain then.
(after all kernel is also a binary)

--
Khem Raj <kraj@mvista.com>
MontaVista Software Inc.