problem crosscompiling 2.6.17 for arm ep3xx

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh@wantstofly.org
Sat Aug 19 09:19:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:24:19PM -0700, tat@riseup.net wrote:

> >> I'm trying to compile a 2.6.17 kernel image for a arm ts7250 ( ep3xx)
> >> board.
> >>
> >> I get following errror at the end of the build from the linker
> >>
> >>   LD      init/built-in.o
> >>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> >> armv4t-crosstool-linux-gnueabi-ld: no machine record defined
> >> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
> >>
> >> Any idea what this error means ? Or how to solve it...
> >
> > You didn't turn on CONFIG_MACH_TS72XX, most likely.
>
> Thanks, thats what it was, but now i get
>
>   LD      init/built-in.o
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> arch/arm/mach-ep93xx/built-in.o: In function
> `ts72xx_init_machine':ts72xx.c:(.init.text+0x1b4): undefined reference to
> `physmap_configure'
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

You have CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP turned off in your kernel configuration.

> > Please try again using ep93xx_defconfig.
>
> I don't really underastand ehat you are refering to, is this a .config
> option ??

No, it's a template kernel config file that has everything enabled
that you would normally need.  Try typing this:

	make ARCH=arm ep93xx_defconfig

On top of that, you probably also need the (uncommented) head.S hunk
from this patch (as my TS7250 doesn't pass the right machine ID, so
yours probably doesn't either):

	http://svn.wantstofly.org/ep93xx/local.diff

Let me know if that works for you.

cheers,