[OT] making software easily cross-compilable

Paul Smith psmith@nortel.com
Fri Apr 28 11:38:00 GMT 2006

%% Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius@rtems.org> writes:

  rc> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 07:08 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  >> (not crosstool-related, but i figure this is the best place to find
  >> the appropriate expertise.)

  >> what approach do people here use?

  rc> autotools ;)

Well.  autoconf and automake are very useful for environments that need
to crosscompile.

libtool, on the other hand... not so much.  Avoid it if you want to
cross-compile.

If you use autoconf macros be sure to read their description: those that
need to run a program to make their decision are not appropriate if you
need to cross-compile.  If you must use them, typically they have a
default setting they will choose if you're cross-compiling.  Often this
is good enough, but...