building GLIBC-2.4 header problem with ARM/NPTL/EABI

Matt Hoosier mwhoosier@gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 06:38:00 GMT 2006

On 4/21/06, Khem Raj <khem@mvista.com> wrote:
> Martin Guy said the following on 04/21/2006 01:31 AM:
> > Forwarding to the list for their info...
> >
> > On 4/20/06, Wu Bridge <mingqiao.wu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There is an option "--enable-add-ons=ports,nptl" when building glibc
> >> header. This option caused the error. I know the ports are used to
> >> point the directory glibc-ports-2.4 unpacked. Well, can't NPTL be
> >> supported by this way?
> >>

> >> I have confirmed "--enable-add-ons=ports,nptl" should not be used to
> >> build glibc header. I used "--enable-add-ons=ports," and got the
> >> toolchain finally. (unfortunately, it has a lot of problems when
> >> building modules and applications)
> >>

> > Hi
> >    linuxthreads and nptl are two different implementations of the
> > threading mechanism. Up to glibc-2.3.6 you could use on or the other.
> > From glibc-2.4 linuxthreads does not exist, so NPTL is obligatory.
> >    I currently build on two Debian x86 machines. On mine the build
> > works completely. It throws out "TLS is required" messages making the
> > gilbc headers, but carries on anyway.
> >
> glibc expects a native build so the default compiler is picks up should
> have the TLS support.
> Currently these TLS checks are assembly files and while building
> glibc-headers we specify the host GCC
> to be used. Hence these tests fail.
>
> these tests could be changes so that they dont user CC but use AS in
> configure scripts (I have a patch for that which is attached)
> and then we add --with-binutils=<path to cross binutils> option to glibc
> configure command to let it know where to pick the binutils
> and since we already have built cross binutils before, so it will pick
> the right assembler at glibc-headers configure time
>

> >    On the other, the "TLS is required" stops the build. I don't know why.
> >    My only current lead is that the versions of "make" are slightly
> > different; mine is debian testing+stable updated to a few days ago
> > (make 3.81rc2); the other is the same + unstable, last upgraded in
> > January. (make 3.81beta4).
> >    I will be looking at this today; it may be that some of the options
> > are not being passed to the glibc-header-making step.
> >    I also have "Kernel version is too old" coming out as a #error in
> > the logs. Again, I need to look into this.

My Ubuntu Breezy desktop normally uses make 3.80-9, and with that
build of make I was getting the same fatal "TLS is required" messages.

I switched to 3.80-9 as built from Debian stable sources, also getting
the same result. Make 3.80+3.81.rc2-1 from Debian testing, however,
allows the a crosstool build using exactly the configuration posted by
Martin to finish.