AMCC-440EP floating point error

Khem Raj khem@mvista.com
Tue Apr 18 12:38:00 GMT 2006

bora.sahin@ttnet.net.tr said the following on 04/17/2006 05:13 AM:
>> do you know if --without-fp was used when configuring glibc
>> your problem looks like that your gcc is not compiled with hard fp
>> support where as glibc is configured with hard fp. You can try adding
>> --without-fp to your glibc configure command.
>>

> Hmm... I had tried --without-fp, which is the default for 440 in crosstool,
> before posted a message to the list and crosstool had managed to create a
> cross toolchain... Below is the default content of 440.dat file:
>
> TARGET=powerpc-440-linux-gnu
> TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=440"
> GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=440 --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=440"
> GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--without-fp"
>
> So far so everything was OK...
>
> But 440EP has hard floating point support and I wanted to use it so I omitted
> the GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG because glibc uses hard floating point as default.
> Besides I added GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG=”-mhard-float” as an extra precaution. Now
> the contents are
>
> TARGET=powerpc-440-linux-gnu
> TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=440"
> GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=440 --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=440"
> GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG=”-mhard-float”

It seems you are trying to compile glibc with floating point using a GCC
which is not configured to hard floating point.
you need to add --with-fp to config and you can remove -mahrd-float if
you want it to use
fpu instructions.
> When I use this config I am getting error messages...
>
> After reading your message, then I thought perhaps I should change cpu type
> because not every 440 cpu has a hard FPU. The new 440.dat file content:
>
> TARGET=powerpc-440-linux-gnu
> TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=440"
> GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=440fp --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=440fp"
> GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG=”-mhard-float”

Probably you need to configure GCC with floating point too add
--with-float=hard to GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG
then you do not need --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=440fp