arm gnueabi problem with tls. (request for help)

Steven Newbury s_j_newbury@yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 09:40:00 GMT 2006

--- Niklaus <niklaus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/14/06, Steven Newbury <s_j_newbury@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've solved the why as to my problem now I only need to work a solution! I
> can
> > do that, but I was wondering if anybody could give any input on what the
> right
> > solution would be.
> >
> > The issue stems from the fact that my build process works like this:
> >
> > (I am using slightly modified gentoo ebuilds throught)
> >
> > 1. emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/binutils-9999_<snapshot_date>
> > (modified just to allow for --sysroot)
> >
> > 2. emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/gcc *stage1 compiler*
> > (modified to account for iwmmxt,-sysroot etc including custom patches)
> >
> > 3. emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/linux-headers
> > (works out of the box with current 2.6.16 ebuild)
> >
> > 4. emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/glibc [USE=_E_CROSS_HEADERS_ONLY]
> > (modified for iwmmxt and pulling current snapshot)
> >
> > 5. re-emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/gcc *produces stage2 compiler*
> >
> > 6. re-emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/glibc *glibc with static
> toolchain*
> >
> > 7. re-emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/gcc *final compiler c++ etc*
> >
> > 8. re-emerge cross-arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi/glibc *glibc with dynamic
> > toolchain*
> >
> > Stage 8 fails due to a bug in the glibc build process.  See:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2005-02/msg00532.html
> >
> > What happens is when building glibc --enable-shared with from a toolchain
> > previously built with --disable-shared the build process only links in
> libgcc
> > and not in libgcc_eh where the missing symbols are defined.
> >
> libgcc_eh gets build in the stage 7. So in stage 6 you should only
> build make libs or remove that that like -lgcc_eh in the
> Makefile.config of glibc.

I now have everything working.  It turns out that the last problem was due to
the Gentoo ebuild second guessing the glibc configure scripts and removing
-lgcc_eh from the glibc Makeconfig!

Steve