more pedantry: what is the purpose of ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}?

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Sep 28 14:25:00 GMT 2005

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   working my way thru the crosstool code, i'm trying to understand the
> layout of a build's "results" directory.  using my example again, i
> get a results directory with the structure:
>
>   results/
>     gcc-4.0.1-glibc-2.3.5/		TOOLCOMBO
>       sh3-unknown-linux-gnu/		TARGET
>         ... the actual toolchain and intermediate stuff here ...
>
> with the variable
>
>   PREFIX=<results dir>/${TOOLCOMBO}/${TARGET}
>
> fair enough thus far but it's not clear why there's yet *another*
> subdirectory there with the name:
>
>   ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}
>
> which means the directory "sh3-unknown-linux-gnu" has a subdirectory
> with the same name, which would seem kind of redundant.

I wasn't quite sure multiple installations of gcc for
different targets could really coexist in the same PREFIX,
so I use a different PREFIX for each.
Once we verify this works, we can set PREFIX to simply
<results dir>/${TOOLCOMBO}

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of loose ends that
keep this from working as intended for all versions of
gcc.
- Dan