crosstool bloat

David Karlton dkarlton@themediamall.com
Sun Sep 18 21:24:00 GMT 2005

I'm having some trouble with crosstool-0.38.  Almost a year ago, we had
successfully used version 0.28-rc36 to build a gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3
toolchain for mipsel.  It worked like a champ.  Now, I'm trying to use
the latest crosstool to build another mipsel toolchain.  The build seems
to work, but when I compile anything with the resulting compiler, all my
output files are suddenly quite huge -- anything that would have
compiled very small with 0.28 (eg. a 5k binary under 0.28) is now right
around 68k, consistently, with 0.38.  I simply ran "sh ./demo-mipsel.sh"
after editing the script to create the desired build.

Any idea what may be causing the executables to be so large?  I can't
recall what I had done in the installation for 0.28 to make the binaries
be "normal".  Is there an easy way to figure out what is getting
included into my builds?

Thanks.

David Karlton