On limits.h problem between 0.29 and 0.38

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Tue Sep 13 14:38:00 GMT 2005

Martin Fouts wrote:
> I've googled, but couldn't find an answer.  Sorry if I missed it.
>
> We've been using crosstool 0.29 to build arm tool chains for a few
> months and have had good luck compiling fairly complicated stuff with
> the resulting toolchain.
>
> Recently, I tried upgrading to 0.38 and now compiles fail.  The
> particular problem seems similar to one that Dan Kegel reported agains
> GCC 3.4.3 and 4.0 in the gcc mailing list, but I'm not entirely sure it
> is.  We using the demo-arm-softfloat.sh to build the compilers.
>
> The symptom amount to the include file
>
> $(PATH_TO_CROSS_COMPILER)/lib/gcc/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/3.4.1/include/limits.h
>
> Being different.  As far as I can tell, 0.29 "does the right thing" so
> that gcc chains the inclusion of syslimits.h, but 0.38 "does the wrong
> thing" so that gcc fails to chain.

This is nearly certainly the problem I reported on the gcc mailing list
and in bugzilla.  Have a look at
    http://gcc.gnu.org/PR22541
I include a patch to deal with this for gcc-3.4.3 and gcc-4.0.1, but not for 3.4.1.
Can you use gcc-3.4.3 instead of gcc-3.4.1?
Or try doing
   cd crosstool-0.38/patches
   cp gcc-3.4.3/fix-fixincl.patch gcc-3.4.1/

Incidentally, the patch might make it harder to move the resulting
toolchain to a new directory after building it (unless you use my
fix-embedded-paths.c).  The better fix would be for crosstool.sh
to do a couple mkdir's before building gcc; the bug only happens when
$PREFIX is an empty dir.  Crosstool started hitting it when I stopped
building the bootstrap and the final gcc into the same $PREFIX.