can build toolchain in two steps, but not one

Michael N. Moran mnmoran@bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 10 23:57:00 GMT 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Dan Kegel wrote:
>>> How about posting a patch to fix the kernel sources, now that you've
>>> found the problem?
>>
>> but, again, is this really the direction you want to take?
>
> Think about it... are toolchains the only thing I build?
>
>> it could
>> conceivably require one patch per architecture, whereas the sanitized
>> headers seem like such a simpler and safer solution.  and patching the
>> kernel source might not be a one-time thing as some future feature
>> might screw up the build process yet again.  why take the chance?
>

> Because I want to build the kernel, perhaps?
>
> I'm proposing that you really fix the kernel Makefile,
> for real, and submit the patch, for real.

Though the patch is to the kernel, it is dependent upon
the GCC version used to build the kernel. So it seems that
the patch should go into patches/gcc-4.0.x and be applied
to linux-2.6.x. Will that work? Or will crosstool attempt
to apply the patch to GCC if the kernel patch is in the
gcc-4.0.x directory?

And no ... I haven't looked at the code Luke :-P

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1