linux-2.6.8 MIPS cross compile and cygwin

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sat Sep 10 19:57:00 GMT 2005

Kyle Unice wrote:
> After much help from Dan K. and Matej I got the toolchain working.  When I
> build linux (under the crosstools/build directory with the patched
> linux-2.6.8 sourceI get the following.
> $ !make
> make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mips-unknown-linux-gnu- vmlinux>   AS      usr/initramfs_data.o
>   CC      arch/mips/kernel/time.o
> arch/mips/kernel/time.c: In function `fixed_rate_gettimeoffset':
> arch/mips/kernel/time.c:278: error: unknown register name `accum' in `asm'

Try the very latest 2.6 kernel, perhaps this is fixed there already.
Otherwise you probably want to ask the linux-mips.org people.
Maybe they haven't pushed some needed fixes forward to
the vanilla kernel.

>   CC      arch/mips/kernel/irq-rm7000.o
>   AS      arch/mips/kernel/scall32-o32.o
> arch/mips/kernel/scall32-o32.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/mips/kernel/scall32-o32.S:649: Error: Macro with this name was already defined

Ditto.

> I think I am missing a fundamental step in using linux for mips.. perhaps a
> set of patches that should be applied before building linux...?  thx,

ask the linux-mips.org people

> One other question:
> If one wishes to add linux-2.6.13 ( or whatever is the current build of
> linux ) to the crosstool build, is this a guru only type of effort or can we
> copy the patches say from linux-2.6.11.3 and try them with 2.6.13?

Some may no longer be needed, so start with no patches.
Try copying the patches one by one as you notice you
need them.
Apply them by hand first to make sure they still
apply!  You may need to fix them a bit for the new kernel.
If so, please post the fixed versions here.