can build toolchain in two steps, but not one

Robert P. J. Day rpjday@mindspring.com
Fri Sep 9 15:23:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Michael N. Moran wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   what that tells me is that the perfectly valid SH3 options -mb
> > > and -m3 are unrecognized, which further suggests that the wrong
> > > compiler is being used since it doesn't recognize SH3-specific
> > > options.
> >

> > Maybe the problem is that the kernel makefile is applying target
> > cflags when it shouldn't, for some reason.
>
> This is exactly what I recently found when compiling a 2.6.x kernel
> using GCC 4.0.1 for *ARM*. I had to change the arc/arm/Makefile to
> get rid of the obsolete flags.

perhaps a radical idea, but it might be easier for 2.6 to just
deprecate the whole idea of getting the kernel source and just go with
the sanitized headers as the only build option.

there seems to be little benefit to getting the kernel source, it just
has the potential of creating problems that aren't necessary.

rday