Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Christopher Faylor me@cgf.cx
Sun Sep 4 21:34:00 GMT 2005

The Cygwin web site is http://cygwin.com/

>       Why Use Cygwin?
>
>   One of the largest problems developers face today is supporting
>   their applications on disparate platforms. Windows workstations
>   continue to be added to an environment already populated by Linux
>   and other UNIX-based Operating Systems. Using Cygwin, developers can
>   manage heterogeneous environments in a consistent, efficient way.
>   Cygwin brings a standard UNIX/Linux shell environment, including
>   many of its most useful commands to the Windows platform, so IT
>   managers can effectively deploy trained staff, and leverage existing
>   investments in UNIX/Linux source code and shell scripts.
>
>But if you say that Cygwin isn't commonly used like that, I guess I'll
>have to take your word for it, since I don't really know a lot about the
>product or its user base.

You might notice the lack of the word "cross" above.  The above
describes what I said Cygwin was used for.  It provides an environment
*for windows*.  It is not a cross compilation environment *for linux*.

Even the ancient words on the Red Hat site agree that the purpose of
Cygwin is to provide a Windows-hosted UNIX/Linux environment.  That
seems amazingly clear.

Although I don't work for Red Hat, I do know that when you purchase
Cygwin from Red Hat, you don't automatically get a linux cross-compiler.
You just get a distribution similar (if not identical) to what is
available at http://cygwin.com/ .

cgf