Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sat Sep 3 15:50:00 GMT 2005

Toralf Lund wrote:

> All I was trying to say
> was that I'd be surprised if a large proportion of your user base
> wouldn't want a full cross building setup, if you chose to include it.

Most Cygwin users are using Cygwin precisely because they (for whatever
reason) have a Windows machine and not a *nix machine, but they still
desire to run *nix-like software on their machine.  A linux-hosted
Cygwin cross compiler would be of no use to these people.

Incidently, there is a step by step procedure for building such a cross
compiler at <http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html>.  If
that's what you want just follow the steps.

I don't see the Cygwin project providing these as packaged binaries any
time soon though, because Cygwin is a distro for windows not linux.  If
you want linux hosted binary packages then you should request that of
whatever linux distro you are using.  (Debian for example provides a
mingw crosscompiler package.)

Brian